Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Australia getting involved in the coalition has made me wonder a bit about political thought in the USA. Discovering blogging has exposed me to an interesting range of viewpoints, most of which seem to emerge from the US.

I'm amused that despite the diversity of sites, and opinions, many of the sites have fallen into a rather simplistic stance of defining other sites as either right/conservative or left. Given that blogs and other commentary websites potentially allow us increased access to a diverse range of points of view on all manner of subjects, why have people felt the need to classify content in such a simplistic and polarised way?

It has been a revealing experience though. I probably sound naive and insular, but some of the views I have come across have been a real eyeopener. An example of what opens my eyes? Have a look at The Command Post - not so much the postings, but the comments made by the community that has gathered around this site. I suppose I can understand that many people in the US feel betrayed by France, Germany etc. It appears that many of the same people have low opinions of the UN ... but the Red Cross???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home