Friday, April 25, 2003

Just back from attending the ANZAC day Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial. As usual, thousands of people attended on the lawns. Afterwards I lined up to pass by the tomb of the unknown soldier. To do so I walked past the lists of Australians who have died in service.

I've been doing a little family history research recently. While both my grandfathers served in WW2 (PNG, Borneo and Darwin) and at least two of my great grandfathers served in WW1 (Egypt, France), none were killed and I am not aware that any of them were seriously injured. My Father was in the National Service around the time of the Korean War, but I understand he did not complete training in time to be sent across. One of my great grandfathers enlisted in the 2nd Light Horse, which I think was one of the groups to go to Gallipoli, however (perhaps fortunately for our family) while in Egypt he was seconded to the military police and did not go on to play a direct part in what appears to be firmly a key foundation to our nation. That same great grandfather also served in the Boer War, going across to South Africa at a very young age as a bugler.

Last year I printed off certificates from the WW2 Nominal Roll website for my grandfathers and a great uncle (all of who have passed away). Over Christmas I gave a copy of my great uncle's certificate to my great aunt. I think that my great uncle served as ground crew in the air force in Darwin, which while not the site of land combat, was subject to significant bombing by the Japanese forces. My aunty commented that her husband never told her what he did in the war.

From ABC:

In his address to the crowd the Salvation Army's Captain Bob Stephens said Australia's involvement in conflict was motivated purely by a desire to defend the innocent, the unfortunate and the oppressed.

Let that always be so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home