Sunday, May 11, 2003

I've been wondering whether my objection to the plastination exhibit is valid. I started thinking about other exhibits that I have seen that might be comparable:
Egyptian mummies and the Lindow Man at the British Museum;
relics of various saints on display in churches, including a whole skeleton in a church in Prague;
the internal organs of the Hapsburgs stored in metal containers in the crypt of the St. Stephen's Catherdal, Vienna, just down the hall from a room full of the bones of plague victims;
the display of bodies mummified as a result of the microclimate of the crypt of a monetary in Brno, Czech Republic; and,
much earlier (back in the 70's), perhaps my first encounter with the dead was a display of the bodies of a male and female indigenous Australian at the Queensland Museum (hopefully the remains that I saw back then have long since been repatriated).

I realised that one key issue I had with the Bodyworld exhibition - that (according to my understanding of the SBS article) it may be that some the bodies were on display without the specific agreement of the person concerned - actually applies to a number of these other situations. Still, while some of these other situations did involve decoration of the body, it tended to be in addition, rather that actually derived from the body parts themselves. I do recall that there are some ossiaries in Europe where bones are arranged "creatively". I think that I avoided visiting them due to my distaste for that concept. Perhaps it is the way I preceive that combination of issues - was there consent, and the manipulation of dead bodies as art or decoration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home